Posted by Susan Dickson on October 28, 2013
Many water treatment facilities throughout the world – perhaps the majority of them – use chlorine as the primary disinfectant for drinking water. This poison kills bacteria and parasites that are harmful to human beings at concentrations that are said to cause minimal damage to humans. Other such contaminants are monitored and kept at levels believed safe for human consumption, but what about our four-footed companions?
Cats have a smaller body mass than humans, even in infancy, and the concentration of chlorine in drinking water can often be much higher than is healthy for them. While chlorine can dissipate after a certain amount of time in open air, it is not guaranteed that it is all removed before our feline companions consume it, and chlorine is especially harmful to pets and people who have glandular imbalances, aggravating allergies and dry coats. This is why cats (and other pets) with compromised immune systems are especially at risk for damage from residual chemicals and trace elements, and they should be given only filtered water to prevent further complications and maintain health.
Some water treatment plants now use chloramine in an attempt to combat the production of the possibly carcinogenic THM’s but this seems to have an even more toxic effect on pets than chlorine does. While both are deadly to fish for obvious reasons, one should not discount the effect chloramine, which is a combination of two poisons: chlorine and ammonia, has on our feline friends.
Small animals, especially cats can be more sensitive to chemicals and other contaminants that may be in tap water than humans, or even dogs can. Fluoride is still added to tap water in many cities as a tool to combat tooth decay in humans, but is harmful to cats (and dogs) as this can be found in certain foods that your pet may be eating (any food that has chicken meal, lamb meal etc. that often contain ground bone which is the source of this excess fluoride) and this can cause fluoride poisoning which damages bones and teeth. Cats require a small amount of fluoride in their diets, just as humans require copper, but it is easily overdone when it is found in everything the cat consumes. Help reduce the risk of fluoride poisoning by giving your cat filtered drinking water.
Another alarming thing found in drinking water are endocrine disruptors. These can appear as residuals from pesticides or in the form of xenohormones (compounds which show hormone like properties in living organisms) which are not tested for in drinking water treatment facilities. Bisphenol A or BPA is a known endocrine disruptor which is found in plastics, dental materials and receipt paper which is why pet owners are advised to not use plastic dishes for their pet’s water (or food) as it can leach into the contents. Use only glass, ceramic or stainless steel dishes for feeding and watering your cat. These chemical by-products can cause chronic colitis, diarrhea, inflammatory bowel disease, metabolic and hormonal imbalances, thyroid problems and disorders of the pancreas and adrenal glands. Other problems can include infections of the ears and urinary tract.
Beyond safeguarding your cat from contaminants, pure filtered water can assist in your cat’s digestion, help eliminate toxins and improve coat quality and overall health. So don’t put your cat’s health at risk – or any other pets for that matter. A reverse osmosis water filtration system can remove the majority of contaminants from your drinking water and make it safe not only for you, but for your more sensitive feline family members. You can be sure that they will be purr-fectly grateful!
To protect your cat completely from what might be in your tap water, you should choose an Aquasafe Home Reverse Osmosis System. An Aquasafe Home Reverse Osmosis system will remove all contaminants from water, including THM’s and HAA’s, producing guaranteed safe water you can count on every time. And it’s only a few cents per liter! Shop online and save today.